When a contractor must work within a road right-of-way or disrupt the normal traffic pattern they must submit a street or lane closure application, Traffic Accommodation Strategy and Traffic Accommodation Plan to Engineering Services for review and approval.
The application can be submitted electronically or as a hard copy.
Traffic Accommodation Strategy and Plan
Your Traffic Accommodation Strategy and Traffic Accommodation Plan should be prepared using the Alberta Transportation manual, Traffic Accommodation in Urban Work Zones manual or the City of Calgary Temporary Traffic Control Manual.
Traffic Accommodation Strategy
- A Traffic Accommodation Strategy is required for closures (lane and road) longer than four hours (a duration less than four hours requires only the application and a Traffic Accommodation Plan).
- The Traffic Accommodation Strategy should be prepared per section five of the Traffic Accommodation in Work Zones manual.
- The Traffic Accommodation Strategy needs to include the message that will be displayed on any pre-closure signage device for review and approval.
Traffic Accommodation Plan
- The dimension of the Traffic Accommodation Plans should be 11x17.
- The Traffic Accommodation Plan can be provided on multiple pages if required due to scale, but there should be one page that shows the entire detour route and one page that shows the entire work zone.
- Traffic Accommodation Plans should include the following items:
- Title block
- Street names
- North arrow
- Sign labelling
- Sign spacing
- Proposed ESC measures
- Pre-closure sign locations (for full road closures, see below)
- Detour route - detour routes must be located on roadways with the same or greater network (traffic) capacity
- Detour distance
- Page numbering
- Emergency contact information
Pre-closure signage (applicable for full road closures)
- Roads with 0 – 3,000 AADT: the contractor will be required to provide bright-sign-style notice three business days in advance, placed in both travel directions outside of the work zone.
- Roads with 3,001 – 7,000 AADT: the contractor will be required to provide variable message board signs three business days in advance, placed in both travel directions outside of the work zone.
- Roads >7,000 AADT: the contractor will be required to provide variable message board signs five business days in advance, placed in both travel directions outside of the work zone.
In heavy commercial areas there may be a requirement to directly notify local businesses. This will be determined at the time of application.
When lane closures effect all lanes in a single travel direction with the detour onto the adjacent lanes (ex. turning a four lane road into a two lane road), the contractor will be required to provide variable message boards three business days in advance. The signs are to be placed in both travel directions outside of the work zone.
Traffic volumes can be found at 2019 Traffic Volumes.