May 11 fire in Cooper's Crossing

May 13, 2013 / For Immediate Release

Airdrie, AB – On Saturday May 11 at about 9 p.m., the Airdrie Fire Department responded to the report of a structure fire located at 646 Coopers Drive SW.

The residents were not home at the time of the incident but neighbours in the area could smell smoke and alerted 911.

When fire crews arrived, they discovered the wooden front deck of the home was on fire and had been burning undetected for some time. The fire had been slow and smoldering, which caused extreme heat conditions but limited flame. It had been burning for several hours and severely damaged the wooden frame and surface boards of the enclosed deck.

The heat and flames also found their way into a tall, wood framed pillar which ran from the base of the deck to the roof line. The fire used this pillar as a channel to extend into a void space under the roof of the home where the blaze threatened to grow and possibly spread further into the interior. The quick actions of the first firefighters on scene served to effectively mitigate any possible threat.

The cause of the fire has been determined as the careless disposal of a cigarette into very dry plant material located at the foot of the deck. The Fire Department would like to remind the public to be extremely cautious when disposing of any smoking materials.

There were four pieces of fire apparatus and 12 firefighters on scene. There were no injuries to report. Damage to the home have been estimated to be approximately $20,000.00

Airdrie residents are asked to please remember conditions are extremely dry and remain volatile. A Level II Fire ban remains in effect for the City of Airdrie and all annexed lands.

-30-

Media Contact:
Deputy Chief Garth Rabel
Airdrie Fire Department
403.948.8800 ext7612

 

Contact us


Media relations