EMPTY, CLEAN and DRY material before putting it in your blue cart.
- telephone books
- soft cover books
- notebooks (remove coil)
- paper coffee cups, fast food cups (un-waxed).
- Shredded paper (placed inside a transparent plastic bag)
- Boxboard (eg. tissue boxes, granola bar boxes )
- corrugated cardboard (no tape, staples)
- Tetra Pak (soup & juice boxes)
Metal food containers
- beverage containers (pop cans)
- food cans (soup, tuna, cat food)
- aluminum foil (clean and scrunch into a ball)
- aluminum foil plates & trays
- jar lids
- Plastic containers with the recycling symbols 1-7, excluding polystyrene foam #6 (Styrofoam)
- Plastic bags, wrap and film: all bundled within a single securely tied bag for collection
Plastic needs to stretch in order to be recyclable. eg. a grocery bag stretches while a chip bag does not
- Glass food containers (jam, soup)
- remove metal lids
- refundable glass beverage containers (soda, beer, wine)
If you are looking for a specific item and if you can recycle it, visit our where does it go page.
All materials must be placed in the blue cart loose, clean and dry so that it can be properly sorted at the recycling facility.
The exceptions to this rule are:
- stretchy plastic bags - bundle and bag securely into one bag for recycling
- shredded paper - put shredded paper into a securely tied transparent bag before placing it in your blue cart
Carts that are overfilled or contain large items that prevent the lid of the cart from closing will not be collected.
The recycling collection trucks are automated and equipped to pick up carts only, not excess recycling around it.
If you have excess recycling:
- Keep extra recyclables until your next collection day, when you can fit them into the cart.
- Break down and flatten boxes to make more room in the cart.
- Bring extra recycling to the Recycle Depot
Blue carts are collected once weekly year round on the business day following your organics and garbage collection. Find your schedule here.
Place your blue cart at the curb by 7 a.m. on your collection day. Leave a minimum of 1 metre clearance around the entire cart to ensure truck arms are able to access it.
Place your cart out past any parked vehicles.
Please write your address on your blue cart. The blue carts remain with the home if you move. If your cart is unintentionally damaged Waste & Recycling will repair/replace the cart as needed.
Recycling collected curbside is taken to Cascades Recovery+ located in Calgary. From there recyclables go to markets all over North America and around the world. Manufacturers take these materials and turn them into new items for consumers and businesses to purchase. Below is a chart that provides an idea of what our recycling could be made into and where the material is marketed:
Waste & Recycling