Skip to content


If you believe that the City has been negligent, which has caused bodily injury or damage to your property, you can file a claim against the City of Airdrie through Insurance and Risk Management (IRM).

Typically, property damage claims are completed within 90 days. Claims involving bodily injury could take longer depending on the seriousness of the injury and whether medical information is required to support your loss.

Types of claims

Claims submission form

Reporting issues and complaints to other departments does not constitute submission of a claim to the City. Claims must be made in writing to the Insurance and Risk Management department as soon as possible using the Claim Submission Form. If unable to print please for a hard copy to be sent to you or it can be picked up at City Hall reception.

Submit a claim (pdf)

Appealing a decision

If you still wish to pursue your claim after being denied compensation, your next option is to proceed with an Appeal.

To initiate an appeal, new evidence (ie. statements, documents, or photos) that was not available or provided during the claims process or claims of mishandling or misconduct must be provided. This information is submitted to a senior member of the IRM team and they will decide if the new information warrants an appeal.

If the appeal is deemed to have merit, it will be submitted to an Appeal Committee for their investigation and decision. This decision is final and cannot be appealed. If the appeal is denied and you wish to pursue your claim, your next steps would be your own insurance company if available, the Alberta Ombudsman or small claims court.

If you wish to appeal the decision, complete the Appeal Request Form within 30 days of receiving the City decision. In order for the appeal to be considered it should include information such as:

  • New evidence: additional statements, documents, photos that were not provided during the claim process.
  • Mishandling: any statement or proof that documentation was not provided, interpreted correctly, or was altered by City staff.
  • Misconduct: itemized and dated documentation that lists information where it’s believed the Claims Adjuster/Administrator did not act in a professional or courteous manner.
    • Statement providing information that would allow us to handle any mishandling including specific words or statements made by the Claim’s Adjuster/Administrator during a recorded phone call. 

Submit an Appeal Request

Taking legal action against the city

Some individuals may consider filing a complaint with the Alberta Ombudsman who will review fairness of the City decision. Visit Alberta Ombudsman for more information.

The Alberta Small Claims Court may be an appropriate venue in which to bring your claim. The Small Claims Court may only determine actions for the recovery of $50,000 or less or for the return of personal property valued at $50,000 less. Visit Alberta Courts for more information.