Skip to content

Supportive housing

Supportive living promotes independent living for residents within a residential housing setting while offering access to care and additional services to meet their evolving needs. Supportive living caters to a diverse range of individuals from younger people to seniors who require support services for mental health or physical disabilities. These accommodations are critical to creating inclusive and thriving communities.

The City of Airdrie's Land Use Bylaw classifies supportive living accommodations into two categories: Supportive housing, limited and supportive housing, general.

  • Supportive housing, limited: accommodation integrated within residential areas, offering on-site professional care and supervision. Services provided may include regular housekeeping, nursing care, personal care, health and wellness support, and recreational activities.
    This category includes group homes and congregate care facilities, but excludes institutions such as extended medical treatment centres or detention and correctional facilities.
  • Supportive housing, general: institutional care facilities that provide residential accommodation alongside professional care, supervision, and health treatment services.
    This category encompasses large-scale centres and facilities that require special considerations for siting due to their scale and service requirements, which may impact neighbouring lands.

Applying to operate a supportive living accommodation

If you are interested in operating a supportive housing facility within the City of Airdrie, you will need to apply for a SUPPORTIVE HOUSING DEVELOPMENT PERMIT, building permit and a business licence. 

1. Application fee

See current Planning Fee Schedule.

2. Letter of authorization

From the registered owner(s) if the owner is not the applicant.

3. Project description

You will need to tell the City where the supportive housing will be located and identify key people related to the project, including:

  • Project Property – The City needs to know the address of the supportive housing development
  • Project Applicant & Contact Information – Refers to the person submitting the application
  • Business Owner/Operator & Contact Information – Refers to the organization operating the supportive housing business.
  • Property Owner – Refers to the owner on the title of the property.

4. Required documents

  • Site Plan (including property fence location)
  • Floor Plans (of all levels of the housing accommodation)
  • Exterior Elevations
  • Certificate of Title
  • Public Engagement Worksheet (Filled Out)
  • External Approvals
  • Letters of Support from Adjacent Landowners ( Preferred but not required)

5. Business description/detail

You will need to attach a written explanation of the operation of the supportive housing proposal. In the description, please describe the following:

  • The level of care and supervision your supportive housing development will provide its clients (staff providing on-site professional care should have professional training and certification).
  • The number of clients residing in the home.
  • The number of staff on the property and their schedule.
  • Whether frequent visits to the property from emergency vehicles can be expected.
  • List of certifications and licenses held by the caregivers and other staff.

6. External approvals & licensing

List permit approvals and licenses issued from other governing agencies that you have obtained (i.e., health approval, supportive living license, facility-based childcare license, etc).

7. Public Engagement Worksheet / Letters of support

Applicants are required to conduct public engagement within a 60m radius of the subject parcel prior to applying for a supportive housing accommodation.

An engagement process is intended to advise communities in a proactive and relationship-oriented way to ensure the long-term success of your project.