Are you looking to subdivide your property into two or more lots? Build a multi-family development? Change the zoning on your property? All of these developments involve the Planning Department.
Planning is the lead department for all land development applications including Subdivisions, Bareland Strata Subdivisions, Rezoning, Development Permits, Variance Permits, Temporary Use Permits and Sign Permits to name a few.
The Planning Department also prepares and maintains the City's Municipal Development Plan (MDP) and Land Use Bylaw (LUB), which form the basis for guiding growth and development in Airdrie.
All documents used by the City of Airdrie to make planning decisions are available on the City’s website.
We would love to hear from you. A pre-application meeting is helpful in your planning process. We can answer your questions regarding building, engineering and planning before an official application is made.
The Planning Department can be contacted by phone at 403.948.8848 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
With access to the internet, you may download and print development application forms here. The most frequently requested application forms for our customers include:
- Application for Development Permit (pdf)
- Application for Development Permit - Change of Use (pdf)
- Application for Development Permit - Curb-Cuts, Second Driveways & Driveway Widening (pdf)
- Application for Development Permit - Home Business (pdf)
- Accessory Suite - Application Form (pdf)
- Application for Development Permit - Sign Permit (pdf)
- Application for Development Permit - Portable Sign Permit (pdf)
- Application for Development Permit - Variance-Relaxation (pdf)
- Application for Subdivision (pdf)
- Application for Outdoor Commercial Patio and Guide 2022 (pdf)
- Developer Request for DCC (pdf)
Please note that the City has no specific application form for Compliance Certificates. Please refer to the service options and methods in the next section.
If you have no access to the internet or require assistance with these forms and applications, please phone Planning & Development at 403.948.8848.
A Certificate of Compliance is confirmation from the City of Airdrie that development on a property meets the regulations of the Land Use Bylaw (LUB). Should you require this service, please submit a letter or e-mail to email@example.com, indicating:
- Your name, address, phone number and e-mail address
- The civic address for which you are requesting a compliance certificate
- The legal description (lot, block number, registered plan) for which you are requesting a compliance certificate
Please indicate in your letter or e-mail if compliance is to be mailed or e-mailed to you. Please submit at least two hard copies if providing a hard copy submission as the City of Airdrie retains one hard copy submission for the property file. Planning & Development can provide a hard copy to a preferred mailing address, whether submitted via hard or soft copy.
If you are making a digital submission via firstname.lastname@example.org,
- Please provide a high quality digital PDF bearing colour stamp of surveyor.
- Application fee (no GST)
- Residential Low Density (including annexation area residential) $150
- Residential Low Density Express $250
- Other Land Uses $400
Applications may be deposited in the mail drop-off at City Hall’s main doors. This is a secured lock-box.
You can mail in an application to:
Planning & Development (City Hall)
400 Main Street SE
Airdrie, AB T4B 3C3
You can e-mail the required contact/application information and digital real property report to email@example.com.
Credit card or Cheque
Please fill out the required application form and enclose a cheque (payable to City of Airdrie) if providing a physical application. If you are applying by e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) and paying by credit card, you will be contacted by phone to provide card information. Please ensure you fill out the application form completely before dropping off, mailing or e-mailing.
If any questions or concerns, please contact us:
Things are constantly and rapidly evolving, but we are committed to keeping you informed with the most up-to-date information. Please be sure to check www.airdrie.ca/COVID regularly for updates.
Planning & Development
400 Main Street SE
Airdrie, AB T4B 3C3