Certificate of Compliance

Effective Sept. 1, 2022, Real Property Reports (RPR’s) will be stamped digitally and e-mailed to applicants confirming the compliance. The City of Airdrie will no longer be stamping or returning paper copies of RPR’s.

A Certificate of Compliance is written confirmation from the City of Airdrie that development on a property meets the regulations of the Land Use Bylaw (LUB).

Lawyers and lending institutions need compliance certificates to protect their clients’ investments. Standard real estate purchase contracts often require the vendor to obtain a stamp of compliance.

Compliance certificates are provided as a service through your request, as it is not mandatory to have one all the time. A compliance certificate is issued by a compliance stamp on the property survey or a letter, depending on the type of request. The accuracy of the certificate depends on the quality and detail of your real property report. Using a current Real Property Report that shows all buildings, structures, hard surfacing (like driveways and patios) and fences on your property will help you get a more accurate compliance certificate.

To avoid a delay in finalizing your transaction, you should apply for your compliance stamp as soon as you have decided to sell your property.

A Real Property Report can be obtained through a registered Alberta Land Surveyor. There is a charge for this service. Consumers are advised to shop around as rates vary.

What is a Real Property Report?

A Real Property Report (RPR) is a legal document prepared by an Alberta Land Surveyor that clearly illustrates the boundaries of a property and the location of improvements (structures), such as buildings, garages, sheds and fences, relative to property boundaries. An RPR with a stamp of municipal compliance is critical protection for all parties in a real estate transaction.

The Alberta Land Surveyors Association (ALSA) has prepared a brochure to help you understand Real Property Reports.


How do I apply?

To request a compliance certificate, e-mail the following items to Planning and Development at planning@airdrie.ca: 

  • Your name, address, phone number and e-mail address
  • Conatact information for payment
  • The civic and legal (lot, block number, registered plan) address for which you are requesting a compliance certificate
  • Provide a high quality digital PDF Real Property Report bearing colour stamp of surveyor

Application fee, no GST

Applying by mail or in-person:

Applications mailed or dropped off at City Hall will only require one copy of the RPR. Paper copies will not be stamped. The RPR will be scanned, and once reviewed, you will receive an e-mail with a digitally stamped copy confirming the compliance. Processing times vary. Allow a minimum of seven working days.


You can mail in an application to:

Planning & Development (City Hall)
400 Main Street SE
Airdrie, AB T4B 3C3

Applicants are responsible for providing proper documentation with each application. We do not provide information on previous submissions. Due to copyright laws, we cannot provide copies of surveys. No spliced, faxed or altered copies of RPR will be accepted.


Review process

If your RPR meets the guidelines of the LUB, your digital copy will be stamped as complying. A copy is kept on City records and a digital copy will be returned to you by e-mail. If development on your property does not meet the regulations of the LUB, you will be informed by phone or e-mail. Processing times vary. Allow a minimum of seven working days.

If you require your compliance certificate sooner, an 'over the counter' service is available at an increased fee.

If the development on your property does not meet the regulations:

  • Your building does NOT conform with the current LUB. You may apply for a development permit requesting a variance 'to leave as built.' There is an additional fee for this application. OR
  • Your building is an existing 'non-conforming' use which means it was approved under different legislation but does not comply with the current LUB. Generally, non-conforming buildings are allowed to remain but some future developments may be restricted. Timelines will vary depending on the nature of the concern. 

Note: If the development authority grants a development permit authorizing the variance and permitting the building to be left as is, we will notify the adjacent property owners via an advertisement in the local paper of their right to appeal. Allow three to four weeks.

If your development application is refused, you have the right to appeal the development authority’s decision to the SDAB. Appeals can be submitted to the following address:

Subdivision & Development Appeal Board
City Hall
400 Main ST SE
Airdrie, AB  T4B 3C3

If you have any problems with encroachments on easements, utility rights-of-way or City property, please allow for more time to process your application.


Contact us

Planning & Development

P. 403.948.8848

F. 403.948.6567


City Hall
Monday to Friday
8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Saturday, Sunday