A neighbourhood party (block party) is an opportunity for neighbours to get together, meet each other and have some fun.
Connecting neighbours leads to positive individual and community well-being. As friendships grow, so do safe, caring and inclusive neighbourhoods that create an overall sense of belonging.
Use our Neighbourhood Block Party Guide for information on planning and implementing a block party.
Looking to plan a neighbourhood block party on City Property (road, cul-de-sac, or neighbourhood park)? Please complete the Neighbourhood Block Party Application Form.
- Have fun — no excuse or reason is needed to celebrate
- Meet your neighbours and celebrate your community
- Increase your sense of belonging to the community
- Organize initiatives such as a block parent program
- Make connections
- Meet a neighbour who can help you with gardening tips
- Organize a babysitting co-op or share walking to school duties
- Take action/share ideas to plan a campaign for traffic slowdown, better lighting, a new neighbourhood park or other residents' concerns
- Use the street for the day to rollerblade, play hockey or dance
- Meet some of the long-term residents in the neighbourhood and learn about its history
- The idea of a neighbourhood block party is to bring people together, so why not invite some neighbours to help out with the planning?
- Decide what type of party would be best: barbecue, picnic, potluck or catered event?
- Start with a smaller event and grow it over the years.
- Use natural neighbourhood boundaries (such as end of the block or everyone in the cul-de-sac) when determining who to invite.
- Find a location. If you choose to host it on the street, or in a park or alley, you will need to complete a Neighbourhood Block Party Application form Contact Community Development at 403-948-8800 for more information. If the party is held on private property like a backyard or a garage no application is required.
- Decide on a date and time for your Block Party and inform neighbours in the area.
- At the event, name tags are great for helping everyone to get to know each other.