On Oct. 1, small businesses (a Canadian-based corporation with fewer than 100 employees, no big box department and grocery stores) can start using Airdrie’s Recycle Depot as part of a one-year pilot. Farms and agriculture businesses are also included.
Why a pilot program?
Conducting a pilot program provides an opportunity for Waste & Recycling Services staff to gauge interest and assess the impact to material volumes, resources (staffing), budget, processes and yard safety.
Small businesses must have a current annual Airdrie business license to register. Farms and agriculture businesses will not need an Airdrie business license to register. Your business license number will be verified during the registration process.
Once registered, a business will pick up a windshield sticker from the Recycle Depot that must be displayed when visiting the Depot with business material.
The cost for business access is $10/month during the pilot period. The fee is pro-rated based on how much time is left in the pilot when your business registers.
If registering in person at the Recycle Depot you must bring a copy of your business license in order to register.
The following materials will be accepted from Airdrie businesses:
**All material must be sorted and free of contamination**
- Cardboard/boxboard flattened with all contents removed
- White packaging polystyrene foam (in a clear bag free of tape and other contaminants)
- Aluminum cans, pie plates, foil (no scrap metal)
- Plastic containers #1-5 and 7, excluding #6 foam containers (separate #2)
- Glass food jars
- Cooking oil
- Batteries (automotive, alkaline, lithium and rechargeable)
- Electronics (excluding large printers/copiers)
Hazardous waste including but not limited to:
- Chemical sprays
- Used oil
- Oil filters
- Fluorescent tubing
Terms and conditions
- No vehicles larger than a pickup truck - no trailers
- Registration sticker must be visible to Depot staff
- Business owners must arrive at the site with enough time to fully unload prior to Depot closing
- Pilot may be cancelled at any time should the program pose significant challenges or risks to safety and/or operations
Waste & Recycling