Skip to content

April 26, 2020/ Garage Fire / AFD Response Details

AIRDRIE, ALBERTA –On April 26, 2020 at 9:25 a.m. the Airdrie Fire Department responded to the report of a structure fire located in the 100 block of Spring Haven Close SE.

Upon arrival, fire crews found smoke and flames showing from a detached garage located at the rear of a single-storey modular home.

A resident, home at the time of the fire, had safely evacuated to the street prior to the arrival of the fire department.

Fire crews quickly applied water to the blaze which was burning on an exterior wall of the garage. The fire extended upward, breeched the soffits, and entered the interior roof area of the structure.

A second water stream was directed onto the exposed wall of the home to ensure that the fire had no opportunity to spread.

Once the fire was extinguished fire crews thoroughly checked adjacent walls and ceiling with a thermal imaging camera to ensure that there was no further extension into walls or roof trusses.

The Fire Prevention Bureau has determined the cause of the fire to be improper disposal of smoking materials. Damage estimates for the structure and contents are approximately $20,000.

There were no injuries to report. Six pieces of apparatus and fourteen firefighters were on scene.

Public Safety Message:
The Airdrie Fire Department reminds the public that all smoking materials must be disposed of properly. Clean, non-combustible ashtrays should always be available where people gather to smoke. Cigarettes butts should never be disposed in containers of plant material or thrown from windows of automobiles.

- 30 -

Media contact:
Deputy Chief Garth Rabel
403.948.8800 ext.7612