Skip to content

December 27, 2020/ Structure Fire / AFD Response Details

AIRDRIE, ALBERTA – On Sunday, December 27, 2020 at 2:05 p.m., the Airdrie Fire Department (AFD) responded to the report of a structure fire located in the 1000 block of Prairie Springs Hill SW.

On arrival fire crews found light smoke in the interior of a small, two-storey home with heavily blackened windows in the attached garage.

Smoke alarms in the home had activated and two occupants safely evacuated to the street prior to AFD’s arrival.

An additional occupant remained in the home attempting to extinguish a fire which ignited on a stovetop located in a second kitchen area in the garage. This resident was safely evacuated by firefighters.

There were no injuries reported.

Firefighters made their way into the garage area through an interior door where they were met by heavy, dark, smoke conditions and visible flames at the ceiling. Crews opened the large overhead door to assist with their ventilation efforts.

The blaze was quickly extinguished and a thermal imaging camera was used to determine if the fire had extended into the adjacent walls and ceiling.

The Fire Prevention Bureau has determined the fire was caused by a pot containing cooking oil overheating and igniting on a stovetop.

Damage is estimated at $10,000 to the structure and contents.

Six pieces of apparatus and fourteen firefighters were on scene.

Airdrie Fire Department Public Safety Message:
Kitchen fires remain one of the leading causes of fires in the home. The public is reminded of the importance of being attentive and safe while cooking. Never leave the stove or oven unattended when in use. When cooking with oil it is advised that you use a proper appliance designed for deep frying. Ensure that you have residential fire extinguisher which is easily accessible in your kitchen.


Media contact:
Deputy Chief Garth Rabel
403.948.8800 ext.7612